You may have noticed world class athletes sporting various colors of tape on ankles, legs, shoulders and more! This is Kinesio Tape working its magic for the best of the best!
Fortunately, Kinesio Tape is also available to help those of us who are just trying to buckle a seatbelt or take a walk without wincing in pain.
What's Kinesio Tape?
- The tape has a texture similar to that of living human tissue and the elasticity is comparable to that of a muscle.
- The taping facilitates natural healing while providing support and stability to muscles and joints without restricting the range of motion.
The Many Uses of Kinesio Tape
Kinesio tape has an abundance of positive effects:
- Re-educate the neuromuscular system
- Reduce pain and inflammation
- Relax fatigued overworked muscles
- Optimize performance
- Prevent injury
- Promote improved circulation and healing
Kinesio can be used from head-to- toe to improve the following conditions:
- carpal tunnel syndrome
- lower back strain/pain
- shoulder/knee conditions
- muscular facilitation or inhibition
- groin injury
- tennis elbow
- plantar fasciitis
- pre and post surgical edema
- ankle sprains
- nipple burn - not exactly protocol, but works great for men during a run
Who Can Use It?
Utilizing Kinesio Tape takes more than meets the eye. Certification is necessary so practitioners, including Dr. Mayes, have had hands-on training, education, and assessment.
You can buy precut tape to apply yourself, but I would use extreme caution. For instance, you might have knee pain so you apply tape there, but the problem is actually originating in your hip. It's important to have a proper evaluation and diagnosis from a medical professional before beginning any type of treatment. It also takes quite a bit of skill to effectively apply the tape.
To learn more about Kinesio Tape, I encourage you to visit their website.
This worldwide phenomenon has definitely made it's mark in our office. Here's what two staff members have to say:
"Dr. Mayes used Kinesio during treatment for my shoulder. In my vanity, I removed the black tape before heading to a party in a strapless dress and suffered the next day! I will forever be a fan!" - Melissa Jenkins, Manager
"I've had tape on everything from my foot to my knee and shoulder. It gave me bit of relief for each condition, but I really became an evangelist after being taped during an episode of severe neck pain. It was simple the ONLY thing that gave me relief, functionality, and sleep." - Meri Mayes, Owner IronPT
Have you had Kinesio Tape?
Do you love it as much as we do?